The first few weeks of this New Year have been hard. I don't mean that in the traditional sense-there has not been chaos or tragedy-but there has been struggle. I've been thinking a lot lately about words like purpose, focus, drive. What do these words really mean to me? What are my goals for this new year? Where do I see myself heading? Last year, my goal was balance. I wanted to learn how to spread my time more evenly between the boys, the hubs, my friends and most importantly, myself. Up until January of last year, I hadn't made myself a priority at all. Through trial and error and a few false starts, I realized that focusing on balance last year was really my way of understanding the importance of investing in me. Overall, I think I got there. Am I perfectly balanced all the time? NO! But in trying, it has become an ingrained habit.
Which brings me back to present day. I've thought hard about what my word for this year should be. Seems like everyone around me has shot straight out of the gates at the sound of the horn (or more precisely, the infamous ball drop) and I've been too distracted by my thoughts to even leave the stable. More power to everyone that purchased their "purposeful planners" and haven't stopped gabbing about them since, but I'm just not there, friends. So, how do I get there?
I'm still mulling that over. But here are some goals I have in mind currently:
- Grow my business more. Plain and simple, I want to take on more writing projects. In order to do so, I need to reorganize the site (perhaps a switch to wordpress?? Thoughts?), redo my business cards, etc. The logistics here are key.
- Write outside the box. Not only do I want to grow my business, I want to grow as a writer. I love writing parenting articles and blogging about my life with the boys. It's a big part of my life, so of course, it stays. But I also want to stretch beyond that. I don't want to feel limited in what I can do. Short stories, poems, humor, nonfiction, fashion, music, books. Nothing should be off limits!
- Travel more. Last year, I visited the West Coast, the East Coast and spent a week in Mexico. I loved seeing new and old places, getting out of the house and out of my element. It was so much fun and I want to keep it up this year.
- Learn to communicate better. This is hard for me. As someone that eats, sleeps and breaths words, one would think that this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm much more effective at writing-playing with words, thinking it over, proofreading and editing- than verbally expressing things. In an effort to be open and honest all of the time, I can sometimes say things impulsively without stopping to think about how it will be received. Also, I want to focus on being more direct with what I say. I tend to get a little scattered when I'm anxious about a particular topic.
- Learn. Never stop learning. Never stop pushing myself.
These are just a few of them, but a pretty good list so far! What's on your goal list? Did you pick a word? I want to hear all about it!